8 Tips For Natural Beauty Over 40 — Let Your Natural Radiance Shine
By Christina Lyon
In recent years, natural beauty has (fortunately!) gone mainstream. Gone are the days of caked-on makeup and blue eyeshadow. No, in our modern era, we’re embracing coconut baths, natural exfoliants, a dash of zen, and glowing skin that embraces your age.
If you’re over 40 and looking to simplify your beauty routine to draw out your natural radiance, read on for our best tips for retaining natural beauty over 40.
Because, why cover up your natural beauty? Here’s your guide to a radiant au natural glow — with the help of some beauty counter additions, of course!
1. Create An Intentional Skincare Routine
A skincare routine can literally transform mature skin into a youthful, fresh glow, but you’ll need the right products.
Women over 40 begin experiencing fine lines, dry skin, and age spots. The solution? Follow a consistent skincare routine for your best skin yet.
- Cleanser. Choose a cleanser rich in antioxidants that nourishes the skin while washing away impurities, like this ultra-hydrating coconut milk cleanser from Eminence.
- Exfoliator. An exfoliator over 40? That’s right! The trick is to choose an exfoliant that removes dead skin cells without stripping the skin of lubricating oils.
- Anti-Aging Eye Cream. It’s never too late to introduce an eye cream to smooth out fine lines, minimize crow’s feet, and de-puff the eye area. Look for an anti-aging eye cream with ingredients like retinol and biotin.
- Hydration for the Face AND Body. Many women master the art of moisturizing, but they often skip out on body moisturizer. The problem is, the lipid layer thins with age, so an intensive moisturizer with hyaluronic acid and collagen will firm and freshen facial skin. But don’t forget to hydrate your body. Use a full-body lotion with nourishing ingredients like shea butter or jojoba oil for supple, healthy skin!
- Sunscreen. Always! UV rays are harsh on the skin, which is why sunscreen is vital for anti-aging. Choose a broad-spectrum SPF with anti-aging properties that block UVA and UVB rays.
- Don’t Forget Your Night Routine. Think about it: a lot happens between your morning skincare routine and bedtime. Your skin encounters dust, oils, and pollutants every day. Don’t even think of going to bed with these skin attackers. Always use a cleanser before bed, followed by an anti-aging serum, eye cream, and anti-aging night cream. Come morning, your skill will be so fresh, chirping birds might swirl around you and break out in song.
Wondering what should be in your nighttime skin routine? We have recommendations and important tips to maximize your night time routine.
2. Wear Makeup That Illuminates Your Natural Beauty
We’ve nailed the skincare routine, now let’s jump to beauty tips for flawless makeup over 40. The right makeup can give you a youthful look that illuminates your natural beauty. Below are our beauty tips for your makeup routine.
After you’ve applied your moisturizer and eye cream, it’s time for primer. But not so fast — choose a primer containing peptides, the amino acids your skin loves. An anti-aging primer smooths wrinkles and fine lines so that your makeup won’t crease into skin crevices. Think of moisturizer and primer as your canvas. Now you’re ready to add makeup.
As you age, your skin matures, too. But rather than slathering on a heavy cover-up, choose a lightweight concealer that hides problem areas like age spots and dark circles. A thin layer is all you need. Apply, then lightly dab into the skin, smoothing out the edges to blend with your skin tone.
Foundation with SPF
The key to natural beauty over 40 is to choose less over more. Some women try to cover up aging signs with a heavy foundation, but this ends up dragging the skin down. Instead, apply a lightweight moisturizing foundation with SPF. Like concealers, only use a thin layer to smoothen skin and even your skin tone.
Naturally Rosy Cheeks
When applied lightly, blush is like glistening fairy dust. But too much can look unnatural. Gently dust a light whisper of blush on the apple of your cheeks (the bulbous part when you smile). Choose a naturally flattering color for your skin tone. When in doubt, stick with a neutral, mineral blush highlighter.
An Anti-Aging Highlighter adds dimension to mature skin, lifting the face and illuminating your face structure, cheekbones, and jawline with a radiant shimmer.
The eyes are the window to the soul, and natural beauty is about enhancing them with neutral shades and defining agents like mascara, eyeliner, and lash mascara. However, the wrong products can age you rather than give you bright eyes. Stick with a nude eye shadow palette and add definition with a no-tug eyeliner pencil. Then use an eyelash conditioner to enhance your lash line and make your eyes pop.
Choose Natural Eyebrows
Eyebrows are often an afterthought, but well-shaped brows can significantly flatter your face. If you’re losing eyebrow hair, not to worry! Use a soft eyeliner or brow pencil to frame your face. Then gently apply a tinted brow gel for natural sculpting.
Full, Supple Lips
One problem area for women over 40 is thinning lips. But instead of adding heavy lipsticks and thick liner, which inevitably bleed into skin cracks and crevices, keep things light and fresh. Stick with moisturizing lipstick, or if you find lipstick too heavy, a hydrating tinted lip balm will give you the plump you crave. Polish it off with a lip gloss to fill in lip volume.
3. Practice Daily Wellness
Let’s talk about wellness because it’s easy to forget self-care, exercise, and mindfulness when you’re busy. Between kids, grandkids, work, and all of the demands women over 40 deal with daily, prioritizing wellness falls off the list. But unfortunately, stress accumulates and manifests in your skin, joints, and emotional wellbeing.
This is your gentle reminder that wellness isn’t indulgent: it’s necessary for your natural beauty and happiness.
Get The Finer Life
Our Sunday email has tips and content you will love – exclusively for our subscribers.
"*" indicates required fields
Here are some ways you can reclaim some “you” time.
- Stick to a fitness routine. Whether you love yoga, walking, pilates, strength training, or high-intensity cardio, carving out time for physical activity is vital. Exercise promotes circulation and blood flow to keep skin cells nourished. Blood transports oxygen and healing nutrients through the body to hydrate your skin and scalp. Plus, less stress means fewer breakouts. Find free workouts with our favorite fitness channels.
- Eat Nourishing Foods. A healthy diet is vital to natural beauty. Load up on antioxidant and nutrient-rich foods like leafy greens, berries, nuts, seeds, olive oil, and coconut oil to get shiny hair and glowing skin.
- Don’t Skimp On Your Water Intake. Water is literally your body’s lifeline, and when you’re dehydrated, you’ll experience dry skin and cracks. The Institute of Medicine suggests women drink at least 74 ounces of water daily to maintain optimal pH balance for healthy skin and oxygen supply.
4. Say Goodbye To Sunken Eyes With Natural Beauty Treatments
Sunken eyes, dark circles, puffiness, and crow’s feet indicate aging and mature skin in women. But it doesn’t have to be so. Eye cream is an essential component of your natural beauty skincare routine, yes, but what else can you do?
There are likely ingredients in your kitchen that can brighten your eyes.
Try these natural beauty hacks:
- Almond oil. Gently massage almond oil into your skin around the eyes before you go to bed at night. While you sleep, this natural hydrating oil will go to work smoothing fine lines. Just be careful not to get the oil too close to your eyes.
- Cucumber. If you think every actress in every movie has a scene wearing cucumbers over her eyes — you’re right. But despite Hollywood’s overplayed depiction, cucumber actually works! Slice some cold cucumbers and place them over your eyes to minimize hollow eyes.
- Potatoes. Vegetables have enzymes and astringents that minimize inflammation, leaving your skin brighter and tighter. If you’re wondering what to do with those week-old potatoes, put them in the fridge to cool, then slice them and set them on your eyes for 10 minutes in the morning to remove dark circles.
5. Increase Elasticity Along the Jawline
A prominent symptom of aging is a sagging jawline because of lost skin elasticity. To promote blood flow to the jawline, tilt your head back and face upward. Widen your mouth firmly and then close it gently. Do this practice twenty times a day to firm up the skin around the jawline.
6. Stand Tall and Confidently
Remember when your mother would nag you for slouching? There’s a good reason: poor posture is a dead giveaway to age. Do you see Sharon Stone or Viola Davis slouching? Not a chance. The beauty of great posture is that it completely transforms your appearance.
Standing up straight elongates the body, making you look ten pounds leaner and years younger. Need help straightening up? Consider wearing a posture corrector to remind you to stand tall when your posture slips.
Plus, standing and sitting upright sends oxygen to the brain to help you think clearer and feel confident. Win-win!
7. Choose A Fresh Hairstyle
“Life is short. You might as well live it with really great hair.” –Anonymous
Whether you have gray hair, color-treated hair, thick, thin, curly, straight, or lackluster locks, a new cut can change your life. Simple changes like layers, shorter hair, or highlights can frame the face, adding dimension and volume.
How can you find a fresh, youthful hairstyle that enhances your natural beauty? Work with your stylist to find a new look, and check out this list of styling inspiration from 20 celebs.
8. Embrace A Timeless Style
Fashion favors trends, but style is timeless. Choose a style that reflects your personality, feels comfortable, and includes classic pieces. That way, in ten years, when you look back on pictures from this time, your clothes and accessories are still in style.
Rather than chasing fashion trends, choose clothing that flatters your figure and makes you feel fabulous. Whatever style you choose — whether it’s a luxe monochromatic scheme, power suit, or pattern-centric, embrace the style that makes you feel amazing.
Ready To Celebrate Your Natural Beauty?
Audrey Hepburn said, “the beauty of women with passing years only grows.”
We agree with the queen of grace and poise: age is beautiful, and so are you. You’re in a season of abundance and radiance. Amplify your natural beauty by following these skincare tips for healthy, glowing skin.
Stick to a makeup look that flatters your skin type and enhances your natural features. Choose a style that bestows you with confidence and flair.
And lastly (but perhaps most importantly!), put your well-being in focus, and your skin, hair, and natural beauty will flourish.
Want a Free Guide?
You will receive our free 19-page guide and access to our exclusive content, private invitations, and tips you’ll love.
"*" indicates required fields