The 14 Best Beauty Products for Women Over 40
By Christina Lyon
Our skin changes as we age, but with the right products, it won’t change much!
Is your skincare routine lacking? You’re not alone.
Like most things in life, our skin changes over the years. Your favorite products from 20 years ago are different than the best beauty products for women over 40. You might notice your complexion isn’t as dewy as you’d like, or maybe fine lines are starting to show. Sounds like it’s time to rethink your beauty products and introduce effective anti-aging skincare.
It’s never too late to pivot your beauty strategy, especially considering that women in their 40s start to notice dark spots, wrinkles, and dryness.
Fortunately, your skin is resilient, but you’ll need the right beauty products with anti-aging ingredients like collagen, antioxidants, and hyaluronic acid.
But there are so many products! Is that luxury hydrating moisturizer necessary, or can you find an equally effective product at your local drugstore?
We’re here to guide you, so keep reading for a complete roundup of the dermatologist-recommended best beauty products for women over 40.
What’s Inside the Best Beauty Products for Women Over 40: Ingredients
Before we begin, here are the vital ingredients you’ll want from skincare products.
- Retinoids are derivatives of Vitamin A that brighten dark spots for an even skin tone while promoting collagen production to increase elasticity.
- Antioxidants attach to free radicals that cause dead skin cells from environmental exposure. Look for products boasting Vitamin C, E, and B5.
- Hyaluronic acid and ceramides are hydrating ingredients that fortify the skin to lock in moisture.
- Peptides are anti-aging exfoliators that repair damaged skin and produce collagen to minimize fine lines.
As much as we love soaking up sun rays, those harsh UVs are skin damaging. Women over 40 should look for sunscreen products containing titanium dioxide, iron oxide, and zinc oxide.
Remember: Don’t apply sunscreen until after your skincare products.
- Elta UV Clear Facial Sunscreen – SPF 30. $36. Is this an affordable product that’s worthy of a slot in your skincare regimen? Yep! We love this sunscreen because it’s formulated with moisturizing hyaluronic acid to keep skin silky smooth and protected from the sun with zinc oxide.
- Colorescience Total Protection Face Shield SPF 50. $39. If you have sensitive skin, try this mineral-based, chemical-free, sweat-resistant formula that protects against UVA/UVB, blue light, and infrared radiation pollution.
We’ve listed two cult-classics among women over 40. These products tackle issues women face with age: fine lines, puffiness, crow’s feet, wrinkles, and dark circles.
Get The Finer Life
Our Sunday email has tips and content you will love – exclusively for our subscribers.
"*" indicates required fields
To find the right eye cream for your specific pain points, head to our ultimate guide to anti-aging eye creams.
- NEOCUTIS Lumière Bio-restorative Eye Cream. $97. While this eye cream is a splurge, it’s a worthwhile investment because it targets common issues like puffiness, dark circles, and wrinkles thanks to anti-aging ingredients like caffeine and antioxidants.
- RoC Retinol Correxion Eye Cream. $17.92. This budget-friendly clinically-tested formula uses Vitamin A to remove dead skin cells and retinol to smooth fine lines. It’s a fan favorite that makes the wallet and skin happy!
Who has time for harsh chemicals that dry the skin and cause cellular damage? Not us women over 40! Instead, grab beauty products with gentle, hydrating ingredients like ceramides, Vitamin E, and glycerin.
- Coconut Milk Organic Cleanser. $26.22. Coconut is life; need we say more? Coconut is nature’s sumptuous butter, providing soft elasticity and nourishment to dry, sensitive skin. While most cleansers damage cells and deplete hydration, this organic cleanser soothes and cleanses without stripping your skin.
- Fresh Soy Face Cleanser. $46.29. Your skin loves natural oils, but most harsh chemicals in face cleansers strip those away. Not this soy-based cleanser! Using creamy soy, this gentle and effective cleanser removes impurities while nourishing the skin.
As we age, our skin thins and becomes more sensitive to harsh chemicals and abrasives. Does that mean exfoliation is out? On the contrary!
You’ll want to exfoliate at least twice a week to increase nutrient circulation and cell turnover. Grab acid-based exfoliation products that remove dead skin gently and give your skin a dewy refresh.
- Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant Exfoliator. $59. Foamy salicylic acid smooths away dead skin cells to leave you with an even skin tone and bright, smooth complexion. How lovely!
- Good Genes All-In-One Lactic Acid Treatment. $85. If you’re battling dark spots, this award-winning exfoliator gently scrubs away dead skin and hyperpigmentation to leave your skin feeling firm, fresh, and bright!
There are two types of anti-aging serums you’ll want to keep handy on your beauty counter: morning and night. Morning serums contain hydrating ingredients like antioxidants and hyaluronic acid.
Night serums have collagen-boosting agents like retinol and peptides to firm up while you catch your beauty sleep — but never use retinol-based products during the day because they can result in sun damage.
First, apply your anti-aging serum, then add your moisturizer for radiant, healthy skin.
- Obagi Professional-C Serum. $53. Ascorbic acid is a collagen-producing derivative of vitamin C that minimizes pigmentation and firms up the skin. Apply this anti-aging serum to your neck, face, and décolleté in the morning.
- Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair Night Moisturizer. $17.78. While you sleep, this retinol anti-aging night cream stimulates cell turnover and collagen growth to soften fine lines. When you awaken, your skin feels fresh, firm, and hydrated. We recommend slowly introducing this product 1-2 nights a week to avoid irritating your skin.
- Yes To Cucumbers Calming Night Cream. $24.97. We love an all-natural night cream, and this dermatologist-tested cream contains hypoallergenic, moisture-rich antioxidants like grapeseed, aloe, and chamomile. Emollients repair damaged skin cells while moisturizing dry skin and brightening dark spots. We’ll say yes to that!
As we age, dry skin becomes more frequent when the skin starts to thin. These creams hydrate and nourish to keep your skin youthful and glowing.
- Neutrogena Hydro Boost Hydrating Gel. $15.94. Women struggling with ultra-dry skin will benefit from this hyaluronic acid-based moisturizing gel. You’ll feel instant relief because the formula restores the skin’s moisture barrier.
- Clinique Dramatically Different Hydrating Jelly. $18.88. Need an affordable fix for dry skin and breakouts? Try this oil-free, lightweight jelly that repairs skin affected by pollution and environmental damage.
- Pause Collagen Boosting Moisturizer. $72. What do you get when you combine antioxidants, peptides, fatty acids, and B vitamins? A luxurious moisture bath formulated to stimulate collagen production for menopausal women.
A Skincare Routine to Grow (and Glow!) With You
As we age, it’s vital to make time for a beauty regimen that fosters healthy skin. Because when your skin glows, you feel confident and empowered to tackle anything headed your way.
Use this skincare guide of the 14 best beauty products for women over 40 as a resource to restore, repair, and replenish your skin. Best part? You can grab all of these products on Amazon!
When it comes to the finer things in life, your skin is at the top of the list. Treat it well, and you’ll glow youthfully into your golden years.
The above content may contain affiliate links. Finer Things earns from qualifying purchases. When you click and shop, we receive a small commission to support our writers.
Want a Free Guide?
You will receive our free 19-page guide and access to our exclusive content, private invitations, and tips you’ll love.
"*" indicates required fields